Skip to main content

Newest

My January TBR

A new month with controlled reading, here I come!

I have exams for a week, and I have to prepare for those exams as well, so it's going to be really controlled reading. Who knows if I will even pass if I don't?

I have so many BRs, that I don't think I'll be able to read any books out of the blue, so my January is mostly planned.



Vicious



Synopsis:

A masterful tale of ambition, jealousy, desire, and superpowers.

Victor and Eli started out as college roommates—brilliant, arrogant, lonely boys who recognized the same sharpness and ambition in each other. In their senior year, a shared research interest in adrenaline, near-death experiences, and seemingly supernatural events reveals an intriguing possibility: that under the right conditions, someone could develop extraordinary abilities. But when their thesis moves from the academic to the experimental, things go horribly wrong.

Ten years later, Victor breaks out of prison, determined to catch up to his old friend (now foe), aided by a young girl whose reserved nature obscures a stunning ability. Meanwhile, Eli is on a mission to eradicate every other super-powered person that he can find—aside from his sidekick, an enigmatic woman with an unbreakable will. Armed with terrible power on both sides, driven by the memory of betrayal and loss, the archnemeses have set a course for revenge—but who will be left alive at the end?

Thoughts

I've had this one for a while now, and I had scheduled a BR for it in December, but I actually wan't able to read it then, so this will be my first (or technically second since I read an ARC last night) book of the month, and the year!

I have really enjoyed whatver I've read of V.E. Schwab's writing, so I'm rather excited for this! The premise is pretty intriguing, and a bit confusing...I had some Raven boys vibes while reading the synopsis to be honest!




The Betrayals



Synopsis:

If everything in your life was based on a lie
Would you risk it all to tell the truth?


At Montverre, an exclusive academy tucked away in the mountains, the best and brightest are trained for excellence in the grand jeu: an arcane and mysterious contest. Léo Martin was once a student there, but lost his passion for the grand jeu following a violent tragedy. Now he returns in disgrace, exiled to his old place of learning with his political career in tatters.

Montverre has changed since he studied there, even allowing a woman, Claire Dryden, to serve in the grand jeu’s highest office of Magister Ludi. When Léo first sees Claire he senses an odd connection with her, though he’s sure they have never met before.

Both Léo and Claire have built their lives on lies. And as the legendary Midsummer Game, the climax of the year, draws closer, secrets are whispering in the walls…

Thoughts

I actually have two books by this author, this one and The Binding, and I hadn't even realised I had them! The premise is interesting; boarding school in the middle of nowhere? a single woman studying there? exiled and disgraced student returning to his school? And do I smell romance?



The Deceivers



Synopsis:

Welcome to Vale Hall, the school for aspiring con artists.

When Brynn Hilder is recruited to Vale, it seems like the elite academy is her chance to start over, away from her mom's loser boyfriend and her rundown neighborhood. But she soon learns that Vale chooses students not so much for their scholastic talent as for their extracurricular activities, such as her time spent conning rich North Shore kids out of their extravagant allowances.

At first, Brynn jumps at the chance to help the school in its mission to rid the city of corrupt officials--because what could be better than giving entitled jerks what they deserve? But that's before she meets her mark--a senator's son--and before she discovers the school's headmaster has secrets he'll stop at nothing to protect. As the lines between right and wrong blur, Brynn begins to realize she's in way over head.

Thoughts

This was recommended by a very good friend of mine, and I really liked the premise! Conning people? I'm sold.



Siege and Storm (Shadow and Bone #2)



Synopsis:

Darkness never dies.

Hunted across the True Sea, haunted by the lives she took on the Fold, Alina must try to make a life with Mal in an unfamiliar land, all while keeping her identity as the Sun Summoner a secret. But she can’t outrun her past or her destiny for long.

The Darkling has emerged from the Shadow Fold with a terrifying new power and a dangerous plan that will test the very boundaries of the natural world. With the help of a notorious privateer, Alina returns to the country she abandoned, determined to fight the forces gathering against Ravka. But as her power grows, Alina slips deeper into the Darkling’s game of forbidden magic, and farther away from Mal. Somehow, she will have to choose between her country, her power, and the love she always thought would guide her—or risk losing everything to the oncoming storm.

Thoughts

I didn't enjoy the first book in this series a lot...partly because I'd read Six of Crows already! But I do want to know more about the Grishaverse, and I'm not completely bored of the characters as I am with The Mortal Instruments, so I think I'll enjoy it! Hopefully...



Heart so Fierce and Broken (Cursebreakers #2)



Synopsis:

Find the heir, win the crown.

The curse is finally broken, but Prince Rhen of Emberfall faces darker troubles still. Rumors circulate that he is not the true heir and that forbidden magic has been unleashed in Emberfall. Although Rhen has Harper by his side, his guardsman Grey is missing, leaving more questions than answers.

Win the crown, save the kingdom.

Rumored to be the heir, Grey has been on the run since he destroyed Lilith. He has no desire to challenge Rhen--until Karis Luran once again threatens to take Emberfall by force. Her own daughter Lia Mara sees the flaws in her mother’s violent plan, but can she convince Grey to stand against Rhen, even for the good of Emberfall?

The heart-pounding, compulsively readable saga continues as loyalties are tested and new love blooms in a kingdom on the brink of war.

Thoughts

I really enjoyed the first one and decided to continue with this! I am a bit sad that we won't get Rhen and Harper POVs, but, well, you can't have everything, can you? And I did like Grey, so it's a slight win-win?



The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle #2)



Synopsis:

Now that the ley lines around Cabeswater have been woken, nothing for Ronan, Gansey, Blue, and Adam will be the same. Ronan, for one, is falling more and more deeply into his dreams, and his dreams are intruding more and more into waking life. Meanwhile, some very sinister people are looking for some of the same pieces of the Cabeswater puzzle that Gansey is after…

Thoughts

I definitely didn't love the first book in this, mainly because I was really confused most of the time. But I did enjoy it, so I am excited! My only hope is that it becomes clear who I can ship because I'm just confused with all the ships possible...


Can You Keep a Secret



Synopsis:

Meet Emma Corrigan, a young woman with a huge heart, an irrepressible spirit, and a few little secrets: Secrets from her boyfriend: I've always thought Connor looks a bit like Ken. As in Barbie and Ken. Secrets from her mother: I lost my virginity in the spare bedroom with Danny Nussbaum while Mum and Dad were downstairs watching Ben-Hur. Secrets she wouldn't share with anyone in the world: I have no idea what NATO stands for. Or even what it is. Until she spills them all to a handsome stranger on a plane. At least, she thought he was a stranger.…Until Emma comes face-to-face with Jack Harper, the company's elusive CEO, a man who knows every single humiliating detail about her...

Thoughts

This will be my second Sophie Kinsella, but the first adult one...and I'm really excited! Spilling all your embarrassing secrets and having to work with them then? *grabs popcorn* Let the drama begin



Rebel (Legend #4)



Synopsis:

Respect the Legend. Idolize the Prodigy. Celebrate the Champion. But never underestimate the Rebel.

Eden Wing has been living in his brother’s shadow for years. Even though he’s a top student at his academy in Ross City, Antarctica, and a brilliant inventor, most people know him only as Daniel Wing’s little brother.

A decade ago, Daniel was known as Day, the boy from the streets who led a revolution that saved the Republic of America. But Day is no longer the same young man who was once a national hero. These days he’d rather hide out from the world and leave his past behind. All that matters to him now is keeping Eden safe―even if that also means giving up June, the great love of Daniel’s life.

As the two brothers struggle to accept who they’ve each become since their time in the Republic, a new danger creeps into the distance that’s grown between them. Eden soon finds himself drawn so far into Ross City’s dark side, even his legendary brother can’t save him. At least not on his own . . .

Thoughts

In the interest of complete honesty, I'm only reading this because I WANT MORE JUNE AND DAY. That ending with Champion was perfect but nowhere near enough. And I can't wait to start this! I just hope that it won't disappoint.



Keeper Of The Lost Cities



Synopsis:

Twelve-year-old Sophie Foster has a secret. She’s a Telepath—someone who hears the thoughts of everyone around her. It’s a talent she’s never known how to explain.

Everything changes the day she meets Fitz, a mysterious boy who appears out of nowhere and also reads minds. She discovers there’s a place she does belong, and that staying with her family will place her in grave danger. In the blink of an eye, Sophie is forced to leave behind everything and start a new life in a place that is vastly different from anything she has ever known.

Sophie has new rules to learn and new skills to master, and not everyone is thrilled that she has come “home.”
There are secrets buried deep in Sophie’s memory—secrets about who she really is and why she was hidden among humans—that other people desperately want. Would even kill for.

Thoughts

I've been seeing this one for a long long time, and I was hesitant about this because, well, it's been quite some time since I read middle-grade fiction. But, this seems to be really popular, and well loved, so I'm giving it a try! I do love reading about characters with telepathy/empathy like powers, so I'm eager to start this!



How The King Of Elfhame Learned to Hate Stories (because, apparently, it isn't learnt in the US)



Synopsis:

An irresistible return to the captivating world of Elfhame.

Once upon a time, there was a boy with a wicked tongue.

Before he was a cruel prince or a wicked king, he was a faerie child with a heart of stone . Revealing a deeper look into the dramatic life of Elfhame’s enigmatic high king, Cardan, tis tale includes delicious details of life before The Cruel Prince, an adventure beyond The Queen of Nothing, and familiar moments from The Folk of the Air trilogy, told wholly from Cardan’s perspective.

This new installment in the Folk of the Air series is a return to the heart-racing romance, danger, humor, and drama that enchanted readers everywhere. Each chapter is paired with lavish and luminous full-color art, making this the perfect collector’s item to be enjoyed by both new audiences and old.

Thoughts

I CAN'T WAIT TO READ THIS!!! I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR SO LONG FOR A CARDAN POV AND THE ONLY REASON I DIDN'T READ THIS EARLIER WAS BECAUSE I WAS BUSY WITH BRs. BUT MARK MY WORDS, I WILL BE READING IT THIS MONTH.



Remarks

Well, that's 10 books I'm hoping to finish in January! I really hope I'll be able to finish with them, because my TBR is endless, and I have so many other books I want to get to this year!

Comments

Popular