Skip to main content

Newest

My August in Book Reviews


 The Month I Started Losing Previously Learnt Control

I made a lot of friends this month, and I wrote a lot of reviews I'm really proud of! The ellipses slowly came under control, and I fell in love with BRs!

Also, school started, so that wasn't a good thing.

1. Forest of Souls by Lori M. Lee



Synopsis:

Sirscha Ashwyn comes from nothing, but she’s intent on becoming something. After years of training to become the queen’s next royal spy, her plans are derailed when shamans attack and kill her best friend Saengo.

And then Sirscha, somehow, restores Saengo to life.

Unveiled as the first soulguide in living memory, Sirscha is summoned to the domain of the Spider King. For centuries, he has used his influence over the Dead Wood—an ancient forest possessed by souls—to enforce peace between the kingdoms. Now, with the trees growing wild and untamed, only a soulguide can restrain them. As war looms, Sirscha must master her newly awakened abilities before the trees shatter the brittle peace, or worse, claim Saengo, the friend she would die for.


Review: ⭐⭐⭐⭐✰


I liked the book. I didn't love it.

It was just, the story just seemed to be going on, without much depth to it. I mean, half of the time, I was getting confused about the setting, how the characters were looking, what they were wearing, etc., etc.

That is not to say I didn't enjoy it. I loved how there were so many conflicting motives for everyone, and you didn't find out the motives of everyone exactly, till the end.

View Spoiler

I will for sure be reading the future books in this series, and I recommend this book to anyone who wants a fantasy read to fill their day.

Edit: I forgot to include this, she was really possessive(?) about her hair, the braid, but the cover still has her with her loose? I really thought she should have a braid in the cover.


2. Golden Curse by M. Lynn



Synopsis:

A curse. A hidden identity. A dangerous love.

Ten year old Persinette Basile was forced to flee the palace of Gaule for her life.

Now at eighteen, she must find a way to return in order to obey a curse on her family line.

The prince won’t know who she is. Not anymore. But she knows him and what he will do if he discovers her true name.

Made to fight for her life to earn her place, she vows to find a way to break the curse no matter the cost.

-------

To. The. Death.

The words describing the tournament turn Prince Alexandre Durand’s blood to ice.

The last warrior standing will win a spot at his side.

As he's thrust onto the throne, forbidden magic, dangerous betrayals, and a complicated love could tear his reign apart.

When the secrets begin to unravel, will Alex stay true to the laws and traditions of Gaule or will he give it all up for a woman who deceived him?

Inspired by the Rapunzel story, this is the golden-haired princess as you’ve never seen her before.

Review: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

OH MY GOD I LOVED IT!!!!!!
But I hated the ending. How could you end the book like that M. Lynn?!?!?!?!

Now we descend into spoiler territory:

View Spoiler

This was really "the golden-haired princess as you’ve never seen her before."- Quoted from the synopsis.



3. Faking Normal by Courtney C. Stevens



Synopsis:

Alexi Littrell hasn't told anyone what happened to her over the summer. Ashamed and embarrassed, she hides in her closet and compulsively scratches the back of her neck, trying to make the outside hurt more than the inside does.

When Bodee Lennox, the quiet and awkward boy next door, comes to live with the Littrells, Alexi discovers an unlikely friend in "the Kool-Aid Kid," who has secrets of his own. As they lean on each other for support, Alexi gives him the strength to deal with his past, and Bodee helps her find the courage to finally face the truth.

Review: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

I'm speechless.

I have no words to say what I'm feeling right now.

This book was amazing. Just amazing. It made me laugh, and cry, and just want to hug Alexi and protect her from the world.

I have no words.


4. The Guest List by Lucy Foley



Synopsis: 

The bride ‧ The plus one ‧ The best man ‧ The wedding planner ‧ The bridesmaid ‧ The body

On an island off the coast of Ireland, guests gather to celebrate two people joining their lives together as one. The groom: handsome and charming, a rising television star. The bride: smart and ambitious, a magazine publisher. It’s a wedding for a magazine, or for a celebrity: the designer dress, the remote location, the luxe party favors, the boutique whiskey. The cell phone service may be spotty and the waves may be rough, but every detail has been expertly planned and will be expertly executed.

But perfection is for plans, and people are all too human. As the champagne is popped and the festivities begin, resentments and petty jealousies begin to mingle with the reminiscences and well wishes. The groomsmen begin the drinking game from their school days. The bridesmaid not-so-accidentally ruins her dress. The bride’s oldest (male) friend gives an uncomfortably caring toast.

And then someone turns up dead. Who didn’t wish the happy couple well? And perhaps more important, why? 


Review: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

AMAZING!!!!

Kept me hooked till the end, but I would have loved to find out more about what happened afterwards. I updated so much for this book, that I've not much left to write in this review.

Recommend it for anyone who likes mystery!!


5. The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzi Lee



Synopsis:

Henry “Monty” Montague was born and bred to be a gentleman, but he was never one to be tamed. The finest boarding schools in England and the constant disapproval of his father haven’t been able to curb any of his roguish passions—not for gambling halls, late nights spent with a bottle of spirits, or waking up in the arms of women or men.

But as Monty embarks on his Grand Tour of Europe, his quest for a life filled with pleasure and vice is in danger of coming to an end. Not only does his father expect him to take over the family’s estate upon his return, but Monty is also nursing an impossible crush on his best friend and traveling companion, Percy.

Still it isn’t in Monty’s nature to give up. Even with his younger sister, Felicity, in tow, he vows to make this yearlong escapade one last hedonistic hurrah and flirt with Percy from Paris to Rome. But when one of Monty’s reckless decisions turns their trip abroad into a harrowing manhunt that spans across Europe, it calls into question everything he knows, including his relationship with the boy he adores.


Review: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

I finished this a while ago, but didn't write the review then. I really, really enjoyed this book. I just loved it.

I'm really excited to read the rest of the books in this series, and I especially loved Felicity, what with all of her BAMFness, she was one of my favourite characters. This review is pretty short, and I will most likely edit this later, and add some details.

Can't wait to read the next book!!


6. The Gentleman's Guide to Getting Lucky by Mackenzi Lee



Synopsis:

In this funny and frothy novella that picks up where the New York Times bestselling The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue leaves off, freshly minted couple Monty and Percy fumble through their first time together.

Monty’s epic grand tour may be over, but now that he and Percy are finally a couple, he realizes there is something more nerve-wracking than being chased across Europe: getting together with the person you love.

Will the romantic allure of Santorini make his first time with Percy magical, or will all the anticipation and build-up completely spoil the mood? 


Review: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

I loved it!!!


The awkward going about it, the constant interruptions, the finally getting to do it, and then blood!!


I realise now that what i just wrote might seem a bit confusing, but you've got to read it to get it!!

All I can say is, Monty has a penchant for getting injured.


A must read for anyone who read the first book!!


7. Golden Chains by M. Lynn



Synopsis: ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Never fall in love with the enemy.

If only it were that simple.

Persinette Basile has always known the ruling family of Gaule were meant to be her enemy. With no other choice, she fought to join them anyway.

And they will break her now that they know her true name.

As she sits in her prison cell, she wants one thing: for the Kingdom of Gaule to burn to the ground.

But they need her.

When the king is kidnapped, the kingdom turns to the only person who could possibly find him: the woman tied to him by magic. Etta.

Life-altering secrets. Magical duels. A love that could tear two kingdoms apart.

Inspired by the Rapunzel series, this is the golden-haired princess as you’ve never seen her before. 


Review: 

I did not love it.

I was actually quite fed up of the characters by the time I finished. They seemed to be having really weird mood swings; one minute they're on someone's side, the other minute, god only knows what's going on.

The reason this got four stars instead of three, is that it was a good continuation from where the first book left off, but it could have been way better. If this had been a standalone, I doubt I would have struggled through with this.

I will most likely be reading the third book, if nothing else then for the conclusion of the story.


8. The Unhoneymooners by Christina Lauren



Synopsis:

Olive is always unlucky: in her career, in love, in…well, everything. Her identical twin sister Ami, on the other hand, is probably the luckiest person in the world. Her meet-cute with her fiancé is something out of a romantic comedy (gag) and she’s managed to finance her entire wedding by winning a series of Internet contests (double gag). Worst of all, she’s forcing Olive to spend the day with her sworn enemy, Ethan, who just happens to be the best man.

Olive braces herself to get through 24 hours of wedding hell before she can return to her comfortable, unlucky life. But when the entire wedding party gets food poisoning from eating bad shellfish, the only people who aren’t affected are Olive and Ethan. And now there’s an all-expenses-paid honeymoon in Hawaii up for grabs.

Putting their mutual hatred aside for the sake of a free vacation, Olive and Ethan head for paradise, determined to avoid each other at all costs. But when Olive runs into her future boss, the little white lie she tells him is suddenly at risk to become a whole lot bigger. She and Ethan now have to pretend to be loving newlyweds, and her luck seems worse than ever. But the weird thing is that she doesn’t mind playing pretend. In fact, she feels kind of... lucky.


Review: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

I really really loved it!!!

It was a Hating Game-esque story, and I really loved the Hating Game.

Recommend it to anyone who likes a good old enemies-to-lovers storyline, and doesn't mind the sex(there is quite a lot of it)

Will definitely be reading more by this author(s) in the future!!

 

9. Sorcery Of Thorns by Margaret Rogerson



Synopsis:

All sorcerers are evil. Elisabeth has known that as long as she has known anything. Raised as a foundling in one of Austermeer’s Great Libraries, Elisabeth has grown up among the tools of sorcery—magical grimoires that whisper on shelves and rattle beneath iron chains. If provoked, they transform into grotesque monsters of ink and leather. She hopes to become a warden, charged with protecting the kingdom from their power.

Then an act of sabotage releases the library’s most dangerous grimoire. Elisabeth’s desperate intervention implicates her in the crime, and she is torn from her home to face justice in the capital. With no one to turn to but her sworn enemy, the sorcerer Nathaniel Thorn, and his mysterious demonic servant, she finds herself entangled in a centuries-old conspiracy. Not only could the Great Libraries go up in flames, but the world along with them.

As her alliance with Nathaniel grows stronger, Elisabeth starts to question everything she’s been taught—about sorcerers, about the libraries she loves, even about herself. For Elisabeth has a power she has never guessed, and a future she could never have imagined.
 

Review: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐


I LOVED IT !!! I LOVED IT!!! I REALLY REALLY LOVED IT!!!!

The way this book was written, I thought I read an entire series yesterday. Which is a good thing, because most fantasy books that I like end up being series, and it was really refreshing to see it all tied up in one book, but be really really good!! I didn't even realise that I hadn't read a series, I thought I really did!!

I loved the characters, Elisabeth especially, (like I have said, I really like badass female characters who kill people!!) and Nathaniel was just so, so amazing!! In my head he looked like a really Loki/ Slytherin type character, in the manner of appearances, I also saw a tumblr post about his slytherin-esque looks, so I don't know if that thought was completely original, but he was just so........hot.

And Silas, oh Silas, what do I even say?

View Spoiler I really liked the dynamic between Silas and Nathaniel, they were like kin, and Silas and Elisabeth, which were also like kin actually, but not in the beginning.

And I really like it that though there was a romance, it wasn't like the absolute main point, and written like a rom-com (in my opinion; I also really like rom-coms) and just the banter, and the snarkiness, the slight obliviousness, the just really, really good writing!!

Also, the books!!!?!?!?!? They were really the reason I wanted to read this in the first place. They were just so interesting!! And the world building in this one was so good, I really have a mini Austermeer in my head now!! I really loved the way libraries and librarians were portrayed, and the books/grimoires themselves.

It had a really good ending, and a middle, and the beginning, just was a really really good read, and one I will possibly reread in the future, which is like the highest honor I can reward a book at this point!!

I recommend it to anyone who likes fantasy, with a bit of romance nicely woven in, cute boys who make really good jokes and banter with the female character, really awesome demons who are just really awesome, and just anyone who hasn't read this!!


10. My Favourite Half-Night Stand by Christina Lauren


Synopsis: 

Millie Morris has always been one of the guys. A UC Santa Barbara professor, she’s a female-serial-killer expert who’s quick with a deflection joke and terrible at getting personal. And she, just like her four best guy friends and fellow professors, is perma-single.

So when a routine university function turns into a black tie gala, Mille and her circle make a pact that they’ll join an online dating service to find plus-ones for the event. There’s only one hitch: after making the pact, Millie and one of the guys, Reid Campbell, secretly spend the sexiest half-night of their lives together, but mutually decide the friendship would be better off strictly platonic.

But online dating isn’t for the faint of heart. While the guys are inundated with quality matches and potential dates, Millie’s first profile attempt garners nothing but dick pics and creepers. Enter “Catherine”—Millie’s fictional profile persona, in whose make-believe shoes she can be more vulnerable than she’s ever been in person. Soon “Catherine” and Reid strike up a digital pen-pal-ship...but Millie can’t resist temptation in real life, either. Soon, Millie will have to face her worst fear—intimacy—or risk losing her best friend, forever.

Review: 

I have nothing else to say except I liked it.

11. The Cruel Prince by Holly Black


Synopsis:

Of course I want to be like them. They’re beautiful as blades forged in some divine fire. They will live forever.

And Cardan is even more beautiful than the rest. I hate him more than all the others. I hate him so much that sometimes when I look at him, I can hardly breathe.


Jude was seven when her parents were murdered and she and her two sisters were stolen away to live in the treacherous High Court of Faerie. Ten years later, Jude wants nothing more than to belong there, despite her mortality. But many of the fey despise humans. Especially Prince Cardan, the youngest and wickedest son of the High King.

To win a place at the Court, she must defy him–and face the consequences.

As Jude becomes more deeply embroiled in palace intrigues and deceptions, she discovers her own capacity for trickery and bloodshed. But as betrayal threatens to drown the Courts of Faerie in violence, Jude will need to risk her life in a dangerous alliance to save her sisters, and Faerie itself.

Review: 

Okay I finally got time to review this!!

I have wanted to read this one for quite a while, I actually found out about it when I started watching jessethereaders’s videos on youtube. If you have seen them too, then you can easily understand why I felt very compelled to try them as well ;)

And now I feel as if I have been let in on the secret as well! It’s a good feeling.

Now, to the point, I didn’t much like this book in the beginning, and my interest was piqued only after I was a fifth of the book in. The beginning seemed really boring, and I just wanted to give up in the first 20 percent of the book. It felt as if there was too much world-building, with it going nowhere in sight, and I was just bored. Then when Cardan started behaving more human than normal, I was invested!!

I have a love/hate relationship with the ending

View Spoiler

Also, is it just me or were there major ToG vibes in this? Nevertheless, that was half of the reason I liked this, so I'm gonna let that go.

I really liked it, and will be reading the second book soon!! I hope it doesn't disappoint!!


12. The Lady's Guide to Petticoats and Piracy by Mackenzi Lee

Synopsis:

A year after an accidentally whirlwind grand tour with her brother Monty, Felicity Montague has returned to England with two goals in mind—avoid the marriage proposal of a lovestruck suitor from Edinburgh and enroll in medical school. However, her intellect and passion will never be enough in the eyes of the administrators, who see men as the sole guardians of science.

But then a window of opportunity opens—a doctor she idolizes is marrying an old friend of hers in Germany. Felicity believes if she could meet this man he could change her future, but she has no money of her own to make the trip. Luckily, a mysterious young woman is willing to pay Felicity’s way, so long as she’s allowed to travel with Felicity disguised as her maid.

In spite of her suspicions, Felicity agrees, but once the girl’s true motives are revealed, Felicity becomes part of a perilous quest that leads them from the German countryside to the promenades of Zurich to secrets lurking beneath the Atlantic.

Review:

I liked it!!

I was really considering giving this up in the beginning, before chapter 4 when it was just dreary(?), and I was just bored. But by the end, this turned out to be really enjoyable!!

View Spoiler

I liked the way the struggles of women were portrayed, and the pirates were really cool!! The petticoat was also cool ;)

Not to be rude or offensive to anyone, but I really wanted Felicity to end up with you know who. I just felt the way some scenes were written, especially after Monty met her, seemed to suggest (to me) that she liked you know who.

Also, I feel I would have enjoyed this a lot more had this been a standalone, in the sense that it wasn't a sequel to The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue, because I personally like books with romance more than I like ones with platonic relationships.

Again, I would like to say that I'm not trying to be rude or offensive to the many people out there who related more to Felicity than I did, it's just my personal opinion. I'm apologise if this review makes you feel that way.

So far my journey with books from Mackenzi Lee has been really enjoyable, and I hope she continues to write such masterpieces.

Can't wait to read the next book!!


13. Get a Life Chloe Brown by Talia Hibbert

Synopsis:

Chloe Brown is a chronically ill computer geek with a goal, a plan, and a list. After almost—but not quite—dying, she’s come up with seven directives to help her “Get a Life”, and she’s already completed the first: finally moving out of her glamorous family’s mansion. The next items?

• Enjoy a drunken night out.
• Ride a motorcycle.
• Go camping.
• Have meaningless but thoroughly enjoyable sex.
• Travel the world with nothing but hand luggage.
• And... do something bad.

But it’s not easy being bad, even when you’ve written step-by-step guidelines on how to do it correctly. What Chloe needs is a teacher, and she knows just the man for the job.

Redford ‘Red’ Morgan is a handyman with tattoos, a motorcycle, and more sex appeal than ten-thousand Hollywood heartthrobs. He’s also an artist who paints at night and hides his work in the light of day, which Chloe knows because she spies on him occasionally. Just the teeniest, tiniest bit.

But when she enlists Red in her mission to rebel, she learns things about him that no spy session could teach her. Like why he clearly resents Chloe’s wealthy background. And why he never shows his art to anyone. And what really lies beneath his rough exterior…
 


Review:

I should have probably read the reviews going in that explicitly said this was an adult book, so I wouldn't have been surprised by the honest to god disturbing amount of sex this book has for a teenager. I have the habit of skipping past or just skimming the pages for sex scenes, so i wasn't scarred ;), but it would have been good to know. The star off is not for the sex however, it's just for a bit of the plot.

I really loved this book otherwise! I have got to say, this was certainly a good piece of romantic comedy, and the angst was perfectly balanced with all the fluff, so I've got to say, this book was amazing.

I really liked the plot as well, but some things just didn't speak to me (teenager here, so it's definitely my fault). I have never seen chronic pain portrayed in a book character before, so it refreshing to see that kind of representation as well. And Red is just adorable!!

I recommend it to anyone who likes rom-coms, and doesn't mind the sex scenes.


14. Golden Crown by M. Lynn

Synopsis:

No longer only a warrior. Not just a queen.

Persinette Basile has a new purpose. The chains she’s carried since the curse began are gone, replaced by a crown. But freedom can’t exist while enemies surround Bela on all sides. 

La Dame lurks on the border in Dracon, waiting for her revenge. 

In Gaule, magic folk are hunted and punished for their Belaen heritage. 

A journey into Gaule brings her face to face with the one person who can destroy her with one simple act: dying. 

No longer tied to Alex by magic, his death should mean nothing to her. 

As she learns more about who she truly is and the legacy of her family, she’s forced to answer three questions. 

Can she save the king of Gaule? 

Can he be trusted if she does? 

And what will it mean for her people if she finds herself unable to let go of him again? 

A rebellion. A dying king. And a magical war that could end everything. 


Inspired by the Rapunzel story, this is the golden-haired princess as you've never seen her before. 


Review: 

I'm just exhausted, I was so not into this one. It was just so mechanical, as if stuff was happening, but I wasn't giving a damn.

Long story short, I'm glad it ended nicely, but I was ready to tear my hair out by the time it did.

I will not be reading the other books in this series any time soon, but I might give them a chance later, just not right now, I'm sick of this universe right now.

The only reason this got 4 stars was because i was so happy it ended nicely, I'm riding the wave of euphoria.

Also, the cover is really beautiful, that got this a 1/2 star.


15. House of Earth and Blood



Synopsis:

Bound by blood.
Tempted by desire.
Unleashed by destiny.


Bryce Quinlan had the perfect life—working hard all day and partying all night—until a demon murdered her closest friends, leaving her bereft, wounded, and alone. When the accused is behind bars but the crimes start up again, Bryce finds herself at the heart of the investigation. She’ll do whatever it takes to avenge their deaths.

Hunt Athalar is a notorious Fallen angel, now enslaved to the Archangels he once attempted to overthrow. His brutal skills and incredible strength have been set to one purpose—to assassinate his boss’s enemies, no questions asked. But with a demon wreaking havoc in the city, he’s offered an irresistible deal: help Bryce find the murderer, and his freedom will be within reach.

As Bryce and Hunt dig deep into Crescent City’s underbelly, they discover a dark power that threatens everything and everyone they hold dear, and they find, in each other, a blazing passion—one that could set them both free, if they’d only let it.


Review:

I'm finally writing a review!!!!
I have drafted this one in my head so many times in the past couple of days, that I really hope I'll do this book justice, and write everything I wanted to!!

I LOVED IT SO MUCH I CRIED THREE TIMES!!!

And there was so much to love....this book was pretty long, but I don't think the story could have been otherwise complete, or been told this completely without that length, and I just loved it.

Now, into spoiler territory,

View Spoiler

I really loved the characters, especially Bryce and Hunt, they were so cute!! Especially because they had that snarky banter? I really loved their dynamic, their kinda hate-to-love progression, and just overall cuteness!! I had the overall feeling from this book that Hunt was going to be the love interest throughout the series, and I'm really hoping that hope will be fulfilled.

View Spoiler

The ending was written really nicely, and I felt this might be a standalone, but we all know what happened in the epilogue ;)

I don't think i could ever write a review that does this book justice, what with the so many things that were amazing about this book. I really want to reread this one day, but I'll wait a few moths to make sure I really enjoy it!

I really, really loved the book, and I can't wait to read the next one!!

One of my favourite lines in the book:
Through love all is possible.









Later:
wait, what? This book was published ONLY THIS YEAR!??!?!?! How am I supposed to survive till the next book?!?!?!!


16. The Wicked King by Holly Black



Synopsis:

You must be strong enough to strike and strike and strike again without tiring.

The first lesson is to make yourself strong.


After the jaw-dropping revelation that Oak is the heir to Faerie, Jude must keep her brother safe. To do so, she has bound the wicked king, Cardan, to her, and made herself the power behind the throne. Navigating the constantly shifting political alliances of Faerie would be difficult enough if Cardan were easy to control. But he does everything in his power to humiliate and undermine her even as his fascination with her remains undiminished.

When it becomes all too clear that someone close to Jude means to betray her, threatening her own life and the lives of everyone she loves, Jude must uncover the traitor and fight her own complicated feelings for Cardan to maintain control as a mortal in a Faerie world.


Review:

I really liked this one much more than the previous one, I don't know why. Maybe there was less world-building, and more story? Maybe the characters were just written a lot better? Whatever it was, I really likes it, and I want to read the third book!!

I really find the concept of Mithridatism (did I spell that right?) very intriguing, and it has always interested me, and I really like the way it has benn executed in this book.

View Spoiler

I really liked it, and I can't wait to read the next one!!



I don't know why, but the entire time I was reading this, 'Hey Jude' by the Beatles was going on in my head.


17. To Kill a Kingdom by Alexandra Christo


Synopsis:

Princess Lira is siren royalty and the most lethal of them all. With the hearts of seventeen princes in her collection, she is revered across the sea. Until a twist of fate forces her to kill one of her own. To punish her daughter, the Sea Queen transforms Lira into the one thing they loathe most—a human. Robbed of her song, Lira has until the winter solstice to deliver Prince Elian’s heart to the Sea Queen or remain a human forever.

The ocean is the only place Prince Elian calls home, even though he is heir to the most powerful kingdom in the world. Hunting sirens is more than an unsavory hobby—it’s his calling. When he rescues a drowning woman in the ocean, she’s more than what she appears. She promises to help him find the key to destroying all of sirenkind for good—But can he trust her? And just how many deals will Elian have to barter to eliminate mankind’s greatest enemy?


Review:

So, in short:
I LOVED IT SO MUCH I CAN'T EXPRESS IT PROPERLY?!?!?!?!?!?

Now, the long version:
To be completely honest, this book didn't have me completely till around 30%, but after that I was engrossed!! It was actually worth it!!

I really loved the characters, I loved the story, and just WHY ISN'T THERE MORE!?!??! I just seriously love standalone books that manage to incorporate a series' worth of story in a single book, and this seemed like one of them! I love The Little Mermaid, even the one by Hans Christian Anderson, (though that one makes me cry every time I read it) and so this take on the story was really new(for me), even though it was old, and I liked the familiarity of the story.

I loved the banter between the characters, and the romance seemed really well developed. Lira and Elian were just so well written, and the secret keeping, and guilt involved made it a really good read for me( I just really really like guilt and angst that follows in any book).

I recommend this to anyone looking for a Little Mermaid retelling, or a good fantasy book with some romance woven in.

18. A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas

Synopsis:

Feyre's survival rests upon her ability to hunt and kill – the forest where she lives is a cold, bleak place in the long winter months. So when she spots a deer in the forest being pursued by a wolf, she cannot resist fighting it for the flesh. But to do so, she must kill the predator and killing something so precious comes at a price ...

Dragged to a magical kingdom for the murder of a faerie, Feyre discovers that her captor, his face obscured by a jewelled mask, is hiding far more than his piercing green eyes would suggest. Feyre's presence at the court is closely guarded, and as she begins to learn why, her feelings for him turn from hostility to passion and the faerie lands become an even more dangerous place. Feyre must fight to break an ancient curse, or she will lose him forever.

 

Review:

OH MY GOD I LOVED IT!!!!!
I want more RIGHT NOW.....like figuratively of course....
BUT I LOVED IT!!

Though a few things confused me a bit..... View

I'm going to be honest, this book didn't have me completely engrossed till she was trapped View Spoiler and I was actually considering not reading the next ones, but now I'm completely hooked!

I'll be reading the next ones as soon as possible, and I hope they'll as good and even better!!

19. The Queen of Nothing by Holly Black

Synopsis:

He will be destruction of the crown and the ruination of the throne.

Power is much easier to acquire than it is to hold onto. Jude learned this lesson when she released her control over the wicked king, Cardan, in exchange for immeasurable power.

Now as the exiled mortal Queen of Faerie, Jude is powerless and left reeling from Cardan’s betrayal. She bides her time determined to reclaim everything he took from her. Opportunity arrives in the form of her deceptive twin sister, Taryn, whose mortal life is in peril.

Jude must risk venturing back into the treacherous Faerie Court, and confront her lingering feelings for Cardan, if she wishes to save her sister. But Elfhame is not as she left it. War is brewing. As Jude slips deep within enemy lines she becomes ensnared in the conflict’s bloody politics.

And, when a dormant yet powerful curse is unleashed, panic spreads throughout the land, forcing her to choose between her ambition and her humanity…

 

Review:

Finally writing the review!!

I loved it a lot more than either of the first two books, and why isn't there more??? The characters were a lot better in this one, and I have come to love Cardan a lot more than I did before. Jude, in this book I feel, was very well written, and I loved her scenes View Spoiler

I really loved the letters which I found on tumblr, if there is anyone out there who has read the book but hasn't read the letters, please read those at the earliest, how are you even living???

This book made me want to reread the entire series again, so I will be doing that, definitely, but after a few months maybe!


20. A Court of Mist and Fury  by Sarah J. Maas

Synopsis:

Feyre survived Amarantha's clutches to return to the Spring Court—but at a steep cost. Though she now has the powers of the High Fae, her heart remains human, and it can't forget the terrible deeds she performed to save Tamlin's people.

Nor has Feyre forgotten her bargain with Rhysand, High Lord of the feared Night Court. As Feyre navigates its dark web of politics, passion, and dazzling power, a greater evil looms—and she might be key to stopping it. But only if she can harness her harrowing gifts, heal her fractured soul, and decide how she wishes to shape her future—and the future of a world cleaved in two.

 

Review:

Finally writing a review, though I should not be doing this after reading the third book as well. I will try not to spoil the next book ;)

In short, this was a very good book, and it has sealed my decision to reread this series as soon as possible......within reason of course.

Now into spoiler territory: View Spoiler

Also, I have this feeling that I inherently like characters which are morally ambigiuous in the beginning but then turn out to be very....... pure? (not exactly, but I couldn't find any other words) Like right now I'm looking at Loki and Draco Malfoy (somewhat) and Nathaniel Thorn and Cardan Greenbriar and I can't remember any others right now, but I think you get what I mean. Why do they all have Black, Green and Gold in their colour scheme?

I just loved it and I recommend it to anyone who read the first book, don't give up on this series, and to those who haven't to read this book ASAP!!

 

21. A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J Maas

Synopsis:

FEYRE WILL BRING VENGEANCE.

She has left the Night Court - and her Hogh Lord - and is playing a deadly game of deceit. In the Spring Court, Tamlin is makin deals with the invading king threatening to bring Prythian to its knees and Feyre is determined to uncover his plans. But to do so she must weave a web of lies, and one slip may spell doom not only for Feyre, but for her world as well.

As mighty armies grapple for power, Feyre must decide who to trust amongst the dazzling and lethal High Lords - and hunt for allies in unexpected places.

BUT WHILE WAR RAGES, IT IS HER HEART THAT WILL FACE THE GREATEST BATTLE.

 

Review:

I have very little to say, because I cannot possibly express how much I loved this book!!!

What I do have to say is: READ THIS BOOK!!!

I JUST LOVED IT SO MUCH I CAN'T EVEN DSAFDTGfadhfdafdsahfaa!!!!!!

It was just so perfect!!! I was really worried about the fate of some characters at some points, but I'm glad they pulled through!



22. Rules for Being a Girl

Synopsis:

It starts before you can even remember: You learn the rules for being a girl. . . .

Marin has always been good at navigating these unspoken guidelines. A star student and editor of the school paper, she dreams of getting into Brown University. Marin’s future seems bright―and her young, charismatic English teacher, Mr. Beckett, is always quick to admire her writing and talk books with her.

But when “Bex” takes things too far and comes on to Marin, she’s shocked and horrified. Had she somehow led him on? Was it her fault?

When Marin works up the courage to tell the administration what happened, no one believes her. She’s forced to face Bex in class every day. Except now, he has an ax to grind.

But Marin isn’t about to back down. She uses the school newspaper to fight back and she starts a feminist book club at school. She finds allies in the most unexpected people, like “slutty” Gray Kendall, who she’d always dismissed as just another lacrosse bro. As things heat up at school and in her personal life, Marin must figure out how to take back the power and write her own rules.

 

Review:

And here we are again, with yet another review not written. Honestly, I don't even know if I'll remember what to write when I'm going to, because this was a really good book. The only problem I have with books like these, is that they make you think. Like good, proper thinking. They make you think, "Wow, what a wonderful ending to a wonderful book, justice was served in the end" and then you think,..... That doesn't happen most of the time in real life. There's a lot more I want to write, and I'm going to write it ASAP!

Now, the review:
I loved it, I really did. These kind of books make you look at all sides of the situation; the victim, the perpetrator, the friends, the family, and in general, just everybody. You see how the victim starts doubting themselves, how they are lead to doubt themselves, how the perpetrators are severe manipulators, who, unluckily, get away with most of what they do, most of the time.

Another thing I liked was the portrayal of the "their future will be destroyed". It's not only the alleged perpetrator's future that's being destroyed, it's also the victim. Even if they didn't actually do anything, someone went through trauma, and thus justice needs to be served.

This book made me think a lot. Like what if in a hypothetical situation, a student was not actually harassed, and was actually trying to destroy someone's future? What can we do then? How will we know what actually happened? Is there really any way to find out? Should the victim be given the benefit of the doubt? Can inquiries not be carried out in a way that is impartial? Why do teachers have the inclination not to believe students? Are students also at fault? Is there no way to improve the steps taken in such a situation? Is increased surveillance the answer? Or is it just the mindset of our society that needs to be improved?

All in all, a wonderful read. The pace was a bit too fast for my liking, but the message this book gave was worth it. The plot and writing could have been a bit better maybe? (since it was very obvious and cliche in some places) but the concept mostly made up for it. The actual rules, written pretty early into the book, were my favourite part.

I recommend it to anyone who wants a book that tackles issues surrounding harassment and likes a slightly feminist read (I don't exactly know if it qualifies as feminist).

 

23. Misunderstanding the Billionaire's Heir

Synopsis:

He wasn't supposed to be nice. This changes everything.

Charlotte Robinson has one goal: survive her senior year. Well, if she's truthful, it's actually to survive her new life without her mom. Which would be a lot easier to do if her dad was actually dealing with the death. Instead, he’s buried himself in so many abandoned vehicles that their yard has turned into a suburban junkyard and it's just a matter of time before the city intervenes.

When Lucas Addington, the obnoxious rich kid who's been banished to the small town of Sweet Water, douses her in his carmel macchiato, she's pretty sure she's reached her lowest low. But that's only the beginning. He's conceited and spoiled—everything she expected from a billionaire's heir—until things begin to change. Suddenly, she finds herself drawn to him for reasons she can't explain. He makes her feel safe and wanted, something she'd forgotten how to feel. Just when she allows herself to open up to him, her life comes crashing down around her.

Now Charlotte must decide if she can fix her crumbling life and keep Lucas, or fail and lose everything she holds dear...again.

 

Review:

It was alright........ I didn't love it, but then I didn't hate it either. I don't think I'll be reading the other books in this series, at least not right now.

My main bones to pick with this one was that somehow it was just so cliche?? Not the plot, that I knew was going to be cliche, and I was excited because I wanted to read something that had a cliche plot, but the writing? Somehow, I just didn't find it very compelling?

Anyway, I recommend it to anyone who wants to read a clean YA romance, and doesn't mind the somewhat cliche writing.

 

24. Etiquette & Espionage

Synopsis:

It's one thing to learn to curtsy properly. It's quite another to learn to curtsy and throw a knife at the same time. Welcome to Finishing School.

Fourteen-year-old Sophronia is a great trial to her poor mother. Sophronia is more interested in dismantling clocks and climbing trees than proper manners--and the family can only hope that company never sees her atrocious curtsy. Mrs. Temminnick is desperate for her daughter to become a proper lady. So she enrolls Sophronia in Mademoiselle Geraldine's Finishing Academy for Young Ladies of Quality.

But Sophronia soon realizes the school is not quite what her mother might have hoped. At Mademoiselle Geraldine's, young ladies learn to finish...everything. Certainly, they learn the fine arts of dance, dress, and etiquette, but they also learn to deal out death, diversion, and espionage--in the politest possible ways, of course. Sophronia and her friends are in for a rousing first year's education.

 

Review:

I REALLY REALLY LOVED IT!!!!

I was expecting a kinda boring book about a finishing school, that's set in steampunk London (I don't even know what I'm spouting, but I think it was around 1890s?)

What I got was not what I expected. It was way, way above my expectations.

It was a very Harry Potter-esque, Percy Jackson-esque, Hound of Rowan-esque, Knightley Academy-esque, Oracles of Delphi Keep-esque, and many more fantasy novels that are set in boarding schools-esque environment, but mark my words, this was like that, but so much more.

My main thing to love was that there were spies??!?!?! and there's a finishing school disguised as a spy training school?!?!?!? And the spies and the main cast were all girls. This was one place where I absolutely loved this book.

I'm aware I'm writing this after reading the second book, so I won't be going into spoilers, but View Spoiler

I recommend this to anyone who likes books about spies, girls in steampunk (maybe victorian?) London, who doesn't mind stupid comedy (that's what I call jokes that aren't really ones you have to think too much about, but are hilarious) and who liked any of the above series of books I mentioned.

 

25. A Court of Frost and Starlight

Synopsis:

Hope warms the coldest night.

Feyre, Rhys, and their close-knit circle of friends are still busy rebuilding the Night Court and the vastly-changed world beyond. But Winter Solstice is finally near, and with it, a hard-earned reprieve.

Yet even the festive atmosphere can't keep the shadows of the past from looming. As Feyre navigates her first Winter Solstice as High Lady, she finds that those dearest to her have more wounds than she anticipated--scars that will have far-reaching impact on the future of their Court.
 

 

Review:

I really, really liked it!!!

One of my main things to love in this one was that we actually get a continuation of the story, and it's not over yet. I really liked how Rhys and Feyre are dealing with their respective experiences throughout the war, and how everyone else is too.

I was starting to hate Nesta in this one, because I thought she was getting really out of line, but I read the sneakpeek of the next book, and now I'm officially up for the next one(I was really considering not reading the next books in this series, but now I'm going to!!)

I really like Mor, and I want to know what exactly it was that she saw out there. And whether Azriel and Elain are going to be a thing, or Elain is going to end up with Lucien after all.......I'm up for both of those outcomes!

I really liked it, and I recommend it to anyone who has read ACOTAR (the series up till now) and not read this. Seriously, what are you people doing not reading this!??!?!?!

Comments

Popular